Historic Sites of Manitoba: John A. Russell Building (84 Curry Place, Winnipeg)

This two-storey building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by architects Jim Donahue and Doug Gillmour for the architectural firm of Smith Carter and Katelnikoff. It was built by North American Buildings Limited between 1958 and 1959 to house the Faculty of Architecture. It was opened officially on 8 November 1959 at a ceremony attended by University President Hugh Hamilton Saunderson, Canada Council Vice-Chair Rev. G. H. Levesque, and Minister of Education Stewart Edgertson McLean.

Named in commemoration of architectural educator and Faculty Dean John Alonzo Russell, it received a Preservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg in 2008 and became a municipally-designated historic building in February 2019.

John A. Russell Building

John A. Russell Building (2018)
Source: Stefanie Goldsborough

John A. Russell Building

John A. Russell Building (June 2020)
Source: Nathan Kramer

John A. Russell Building

John A. Russell Building (June 2020)
Source: Nathan Kramer

John A. Russell Building

John A. Russell Building (April 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.80806, W97.13533
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Arthur James “Jim” Donahue (1917-1996)

Memorable Manitobans: R. Douglas “Doug” Gillmor (1930-2019)

Memorable Manitobans: John Alonzo Russell (1907-1966)

Manitoba Business: Smith Carter and Katelnikoff / Smith Carter Architects and Engineers / Architecture49

Manitoba Business: North American Lumber and Supply Company / Citizens Lumber Company / North American Buildings Limited / North American Lumber

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites


“Notice of tender [New School of Architecture Building],” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 April 1958, page 14.

“U architecture school gets $500,000 grant,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 July 1958, page 13.

“University gets sleek addition,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 November 1959, page 15.

Obituary [R. Douglas Gillmor], Winnipeg Free Press, 3 August 2019.

We thank Stefanie Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Glen Toews for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 December 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!