Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Municipal Hall and Fire Hall (Victoria Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Built in 1912 as the joint Municipal Hall and Fire Hall of Transcona, the building was designed by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle and located on the north side of Victoria Avenue West, between Bond Street and Oxford Street (now Day Street). It was opened to the public at a ceremony on 20 November 1912, during which Mayor Colin John Edward Maxwell turned on the new electric lighting plant. The building remained in active use until January 1956 when a new Municipal Building was opened at the northwest corner of Pandora Avenue West at Madeline Street. A demolition contract for the original building was awarded to M. Spuzuk in December 1955, with work completed by mid-February 1956. The site was initially used by a commercial retail establishment and is now parking lot.
Two additional fire halls were built in the vicinity of the Canadian National Railway yards at Transcona, neither of which survive today and their precise locations are unknown. The second hall, a frame building designed by Winnipeg architect J. A. Hudon, was constructed in 1914. It was used until its demolition in the late summer or early fall of 1938. The building’s salvaged materials were used in the construction of the Transcona Curling Club at the northeast corner of Oxford Street (now Day Street) at Melrose Avenue. The third hall was built in 1941 for the Railway. Designed by its Chief Engineer, the brick structure was approximately 30 feet by 34 feet and cost around $10,000 to construct.
“Tenders for building,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 July 1912, page 2.
“Town Hall opening,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 November 1912, page 16.
“Tenders for fire hall,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 May 1914, page 2.
“Transcona, once prairie duck pond, to celebrate silver jubilee June 22,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 June 1936, page 7.
“Better conditions are reflected in Transcona reports,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 January 1937, page 18.
“Transcona club to meet,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1938, page 12.
“New rink opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1938, page 15.
“New fire hall for Transcona,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 October 1941, page 10.
“R.C.A. building new advanced training centre,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1941, page 10.
“South Transona seeking split,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1941, page 13.
Insurance Plan of the Town of Transcona, Man. Jan. 1953, 7 (1953).
“Supermart planned on site of Transcona municipal offices,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 May 1955, page 3.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 September 1955, page 2.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 November 1955, page 8.
“Town of Transcona,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 November 1955, page 22.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 December 1955, page 2.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1955, page 18.
“How Transcona got its name” by Skip Kellar, Winnipeg Free Press, 10 June 1961, page 12.
We Hold Thee Safe by Halldor Kenneth Bjarnason, 2004.
We thank the staff of the Transcona Museum for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 April 2021