This two-storey brick building at the northeast corner of Regent Avenue West and Bond Street in the Transcona area of Winnipeg was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers and constructed between 1924 and 1925 as a branch for the Bank of Toronto. The first floor of the building offered banking services, vaults, and offices, while the second floor served as an apartment for a bank employee. The bank vacated the building in 1941 when it purchased the former Canadian Bank of Commerce building across the street at 200 Regent Avenue West and moved in there.
In 1943, the Town of Transcona purchased the building and turned it into municipal offices on the main floor and offices for the town’s Health and Welfare Department and Parks and Recreation Department on the second floor. The Transcona Museum moved into the building in 1979. It became a municipally-designated historic structure in 1980. It was renamed The Transcona Museum in 2017.
Three plaques outlining part of Transcona’s rich history are located on the sidewalk west of the museum, located at 141 Regent Avenue West at Bond Street.
Bank of Toronto building in Transcona (1938) by Charles I. Meyers
Source: Transcona Museum
Transcona Municipal Office (c1940-1960)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Government Photographs (CH 0267), GR10030, WG-14-2.
Transcona Historical Museum (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Transcona Museum (January 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Transcona Historical Museum Plaques (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Transcona Historical Museum Plaque (July 2023)
Source: Glen Toews
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89516, W97.00529
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Municipal Office and Fire Hall (Victoria Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Municipal Office and Fire Hall (401 Pandora Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Wall of Fame (Regent Avenue West, Winnipeg)
A Trip Through Time in Transcona by Terry Patterson
Manitoba History, Number 13, Spring 1987
Former Bank of Toronto Building, 141 Regent Avenue by Historical Buildings Committee, 30 August 1979, update 2005.
Looking Back on Transcona's Neighbourhood Bank, Transcona Museum.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Peter McLure, Russ Wyatt, and Glen Toews for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 24 December 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!