Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 1 / Central Fire Hall (110 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
Designed by architect H. S. Griffith and built in 1899 at a cost of $30,000, this facility in downtown Winnipeg replaced a former “Central Fire Hall” at the intersection of William Avenue and Charlotte Street. It accommodated 20 firemen and stables for the horses who pulled seven firefighting vehicles. By 1965, the building was described by Mayor Steve Juba as being “inadequate and dilapidated.” It closed in November 1965 and was demolished in early 1966. The site is now a public park.
“New no. 1 fire hall opens,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 November 1965, page 3.
“No. 1 fire station to be torn down,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 December 1965, page 3.
We Hold Thee Safe by Halldor Kenneth Bjarnason, 2004.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 September 2014
Back to top of page