Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 12 (1055 Dorchester Avenue, Winnipeg)
Designed by architect brothers Alexander D. Melville and William N. Melville, Fire Hall No. 12 was constructed in 1911 in a Crescentwood neighbourhood that was, at that time, sparsely populated. The two-and-a-half storey building was made of brick on a stone foundation. Three vehicle doors opened into the garage with stables for eight horses at the rear. Bedrooms, a lavatory, and a sitting room for the firefighters were on the second floor, while the top floor was used for storage. The fire hall was closed with the creation of Unicity in 1972. It was sold for $67,000 in 1983 and renovated into private condominiums. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
No. 12 Fire Hall, 1055 Dorchester Avenue, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1983.
“‘Santa Bus’ scheme endorsed by city,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 June 1985, page 9.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 October 2014
Back to top of page