Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Curling Club (204 Day Street, Winnipeg)
Opened in 1938 at the northeast corner of Oxford Street (now Day Street) at Melrose Avenue in Transcona, the single-storey Transcona Curling Club (TCC) building was constructed by contractor J. Johnson at a cost of around $6,000. Construction was underway in October 1938, and the structure was built in part using recycled materials from the Transcona Fire Hall No. 2 and covered with ready-roofing.
The official opening was held on 17 December 1938, at which Premier John Bracken cut the ribbon and William Clarke McKinnell threw the first rock. Also present was TCC President L. E. Gordon, TCC Vice-President William Newman, Transcona Mayor George Edward Olive, MLA Evelyn Foster Shannon, MLA William Reid Clubb, Manitoba Curling Association (MCA) President Neil Sullivan, MCA Secretary George Hudson, Manitoba Ladies’ Curling Association (MLCA) President Mrs. A. H. Shaw, and MLCA Secretary Mrs. W. F. Brownbridge.
The building was expanded in 1963 with a two-storey masonry 35 x 80 foot addition to its front. A 20 x 35 foot single-storey add-on was also made to the structure. In 1972, under Bill 60 of the Manitoba Legislature, the Transcona Golf Club and the Transcona Curling Club merged to become the Transcona Country Club.
Around May 1974, the building was put up for sale, following the opening of a new eight-sheet curling rink on 11 March 1974 on property adjacent to the Transcona Golf Club facility on Dugald Road. From the later 1970s through the 1980s, the building housed an industrial electronics plant. It has since been renovated, now accommodating multi-unit private residences.
“Transcona club to meet,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1938, page 12.
“More Houses being built in city this season,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 October 1938, page 13.
“Transcona curlers plan first ‘Spiel,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 December 1938, page 13.
“New rink opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1938, page 15.
“The Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 July 1963, page 12.
“Four items get second reading,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 June 1972, page 10.
“24 Bills given Royal Assent,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 June 1972, page 6.
“Curling calendar,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 March 1974, page 50.
“For sale - Transcona Curling Club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 May 1974, page 59.
“Doctors - lawyers - bankers and other business enterprises,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 March 1975, page 61.
“Addendum,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 April 1978, page 55.
“Curling organizer scorns Golden’s club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 October 1980, page 3.
“Builders for the ‘90s,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 June 1988, page 36B.
“Curling club to make comeback?” Winnipeg Free Press Northeast Edition, 1 April 1990, page 3.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 16 October 2016
Back to top of page