Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Fire Hall (200 Berry Street, Winnipeg)
Designed by Winnipeg architect Alexander D. Melville and built during the summer of 1912 for the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia, this two-storey brick structure was also used for a time as a police station. The building became Fire Hall No. 11 after the formation of Unicity in 1972. It was vacated in 2013 when a new fire hall was constructed nearby, on Portage Avenue, and sold to a private owner in early 2014. Plans call for it to be renovated into a single- or multi-family residence.
“Tenders for fire-hall,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 June 1912, page 2.
St. James Fire Hall No. 1 (St. James Fire Hall & Police Station), 200 Berry Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, April 2013.
We thank Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 March 2020
Back to top of page