Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Pakistan Lecture 2019
Pakistan
Lunch &
Lecture

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tache School / Queen Elizabeth School (Kenny Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

As early as 1901, voters in St. Boniface gave approval to the construction of a new school to be named in commemoration of Archbishop Tache. The $2,000 structure opened in September 1902. Within five years, that original structure was replaced by a new school designed by local architects Hooper and Walker. A cornerstone of the second Tache School, complete with enclosed time capsule, was set in 1907 and an opening ceremony was held on 17 March 1908. The three-storey brick and stone structure featured ten classrooms, assembly hall, full basement, and an attic measuring 8 by 84 feet. The interior was finished with British Columbia fir along and metallic ceilings.

Classes commenced on 26 August 1908. Initially, students in grades 1 to 8 were accommodated; those in grades 9 through 11 arrived in September 1914 while students in grade 12 attended Provencher School (boys) or St. Joseph’s Academy (girls). By 1923, the school was so overcrowded that the assembly hall was divided into three classrooms. It joined the newly formed Norwood School District in 1925. The Tache High School was renamed the Norwood Collegiate Institute and, in 1940, its students were relocated to a temporary structure at the west corner of Highfield Street at St. Mary’s Road.

In the late 1930s or early 1940s, it was renamed Queen Elizabeth School. Later condemned, the building was demolished in 1963. Its replacement was constructed at 363 Enfield Crescent.

Principals

Period

Principal

1902-1906

?

1906-1908

Edward Alfred Hemsworth (1872-1955)

1908-1913

John L. M. “Jack” Thomson (c1877-1959)

1913-1918

George Henry Ruttan (c1880-1960)

1918-1919

Alfred Blakely Gillespie (1870-1939)

1919

Miss Mary Ann McColl (Acting)

1920-1923

Alfred Blakely Gillespie (1870-1939)

1923-1928

Alfred White (1869-1955)

1928-?

?

?-1935

John Hiram Armstrong (1900-1966)

1935-?

?

?-c1939

James Alfred Turner (1912-1960)

c1939-1947

?

1947-1948

Harry Lorne “King” Softley (1905-1969)

1948-1951

?

1951-1952

Ronald Victor Shearer (1907-2000)

1952-1955

?

1955-1956

Michael P. Lysack

1956-1967

George Scott Belton (1904-1967)

1967-1972

R. Dubois

1972-1973

J. Krueger

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1913-1916

William Alexander Shannon (1883-?)

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1915-1916

Elementary Department: Miss J. Bailey (grade 3), Miss E. Bell (grade 8), Miss M. J. Berube (grade 6), Miss F. Budd (grade 2), Miss T. Campbell (grade 3), Miss M. Erwin (grade 7), Miss T. Fitzgerald (grade 1), Miss E. Gayton (grade 1), A. B. Gillespie (grade 8), Miss G. Johannasson (grade 2), Miss H. McFee (grade 3), Miss M. McQuade (grade 4), Miss A. Masterman (grade 3), Miss A. C. Morrison (grade 6), Miss B. Morton (grade 3), Miss M. Foster Palmer (grade 6), Miss W. Peskett (grade 5), Miss M. Reardon (grade 1), Miss J. Sharman (grade 1), Miss E. Sloan (grade 4), Miss A. Tredale (grade 2), Miss G. Young (grades 4-5). High School Department (grades 9-11): William A. Shannon, Miss Mary McColl, Miss Flora McColl. Manual Training Department: Ernest Ray

1916-1922

?

1922-1923

22 teachers

1923-1924 (partial)

A. B. Gillespie (high school grades), Miss S. MacPherson (grade 8)

1924-1925 (partial)

A. B. Gillespie (high school grades)

Among the teachers who worked at Tache School / Queen Elizabeth School were Eva E. Keeler (1906-1914), James Warren Chafe (?-1934), Edward James Marshall, Hazel Frances McFee McCallum (c1913-1960), May Maty Somerville, Willard E. Fife (1920-c1923, mathematics), Miss Alice Hoskins (commercial) (?-1920, commercial), and Mrs. Bowman (1920-?, commercial).

Photos & Maps

The second Tache School building

The second Tache School building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, St. Boniface - Schools - Tache 1

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88020, W97.11960
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Queen Elizabeth School / Henri Bergeron School (363 Enfield Crescent, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tache School No. 937 (RM of Montcalm)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ecole Tache (744 Langevin Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Norwood School,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 April 1902, page 4.

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

“Fine new schools in city and suburbs,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 November 1907, page 27.

“New Tache School formally opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 March 1908, page 9.

Obituary [Eva E. Keeler], Manitoba Free Press, 28 January 1914, page 4.

“Staff for Tache School selected,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 September 1915, page 5.

“Throws light on school trouble,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 August 1916, page 7.

“Teacher in St. Boniface quits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 August 1919, page 9.

“Will be present for best showing in Canadian history,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 March 1920, page 7.

“Appointments made St. Boniface schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 August 1920, page 5.

“552 new pupils to be enrolled in St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 September 1922, page 2.

“News from the Suburbs - St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 November 1922, page 17.

“Seeking better school results,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 August 1923, page 11.

“Meet to choose new Principal,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 September 1923, page 3.

“Principal appointed for Tache School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 September 1923, page 8.

“Teachers are reinstated,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 August 1924, page 5.

“Modern trends to be theme at teacher meet,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 October 1951, page 6.

“Land swap for school is approved,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 July 1961, page 19.

“School opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 December 1962, page 8.

Photo caption, Winnipeg Free Press, 13 April 1963, page 4.

“Swim request,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 December 1963, page 13.

“School set to drop royal title,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 June 1998, page A3.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

75 years of secondary education in Norwood 1914 to 1989,” History of Nelson McIntyre Collegiate.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 12 October 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.