Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Queen Elizabeth School / Henri Bergeron School (363 Enfield Crescent, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built at a cost of around $360,000 to replace the old condemned Queen Elizabeth School, it was opened officially as Queen Elizabeth School on 7 December 1962. In 1998, the Louis Riel School Division took the uncommon step of dropping the royal name in favour of broadcaster Henri Bergeron, henceforth known as École Henry Bergeron.

Principals

Period

Principal

1962-1967

George Scott Belton (1904-1967)

1967-1972

Roger V. Dubois (1934-2015)

1972-1980

Jacob “Jake” Krueger (1925-2001)

1980-1994

?

1994

Jean-Paul Coucelle

1994-2014

?

2014-?

Florence LaPointe

Vice-Principals

Period

Principal

1962-1969

?

1969-1973

Walter Chester Hawn (1909-1995)

1973-1994

?

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Queen Elizabeth School / Henri Bergeron School

Henri Bergeron School (May 2018)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Queen Elizabeth School / Henri Bergeron School

Henri Bergeron School (May 2018)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88363, W97.11365
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tache School / Queen Elizabeth School (Kenny Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Francois de Sales School / Queen Elizabeth School No. 975 (Howden, RM of Ritchot)

Sources:

“New site selected for school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 July 1961, page 24.

“Land swap for school is approved,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 July 1961, page 19.

“$360,000 bylaw vote set on new Norwood School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 September 1961, page 24.

“Schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 july 1962, page 2.

“Old school to be used for awhile,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 August 1962, page 3.

“School opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 December 1962, page 8.

“Swim request,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 December 1963, page 13.

“The Norwood School Division,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 April 1964, page 23.

“Supt. Kruger retires after 31 years at job,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly West Edition, 23 October 1988, page 13.

“No politics, s’il vous plait,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 1994, page B4.

Obituary [Walter Chester Hawn], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 October 1995, page C7.

“School set to drop royal title,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 June 1998, page A3.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.