Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Francois de Sales School / Queen Elizabeth School No. 975 (Howden, RM of Ritchot)

Link to:
Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The St. Francois de Sales School District was organized formally in May 1898 and a two-room schoolhouse operated on River Lot 49 in the Rural Municipality of Ritchot, on the west side of the Red River. Destroyed by fire in 1939, a new two-classroom building with laboratory was constructed and renamed Queen Elizabeth School (for the monarch who had visited Canada earlier that year). Damaged by a flood in early 1950, a new foundation was constructed a few feet to the west and the building was moved onto it. Destroyed by fire on 22 February 1955, elementary students attended classes in the St. Joseph’s Catholic Church while senior students went to the St. Norbert Boys’ School. A new building with two classrooms and a laboratory opened in the fall of 1955.

The district was dissolved in April 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Seine River School Division. The school closed permanently in June 1967. The former schoolhouse was sold and became the St. Joseph’s Social Club. Badly damaged by a flood in early 1997, the building was burned as a training exercise for local firefighters and replaced by the present structure at the site, now known as the Howden Community Centre.

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1898-1940

?

1940-1941

Miss Alice Krett (grades 1-5), Miss Gorawski (grades 6-10)

1941-1942

Miss Pelletier (grades 1-5), Miss Gorawski (grades 6-10)

1942-1943

Miss Alsip (grades 1-8)

1943-1944

Mike Tataryn (grades 1-8), Mr. Sawatzky (grades 1-8)

1944-1945

Miss Elizabeth Olivier (grades 1-8)

1945-1946

Miss Annette Dorge (grades 1-8)

1946-1947

Miss Annette Dorge (grades 1-8)

1947-1948

Mrs. Bella Bruce (grades 1-8)

1948-1949

Miss Jean Markowski (grades 1-8)

1949-1950

Miss Jean Markowski (grades 1-8)

1950-1951

Miss Jean Markowski (grades 1-8)

1951-1952

Miss Jean Markowski (grades 1-8)

1952-1953

Miss Jean Markowski (grades 1-8)

1953-1954

Mrs. Laura M. Gall (grades ?)

1954-1955

Mrs. Thelma Doan (grades 1-6)

1955-1956

Mrs. Kay Snatenchuk (grades 1-6), Michael Lysack (grades 7-11)

1956-1957

Mrs. Kay Snatenchuk (grades 1-6), Nick Andrusko (grades 7-11)

1957-1958

Miss E. V. Masiowski (grades 1-7)

1958-1959

Miss E. V. Masiowski (grades 1-8), Frank Mikolayenko (grades 9-11)

1959-1960

Miss E. V. Masiowski (grades 1-8), Frank Mikolayenko (grades 9-11)

1960-1961

Alvin Matskiw (grades 1-7)

1961-1962

Alvin Matskiw (grades 1-7)

1962-1963

Mrs. Dora Zacharias (grades 1-8)

1963-1964

Miss Diane Gottfried (grades 1-8)

1964-1965

Lionel H. Sussman (grades 1-7)

1965-1966

Lionel H. Sussman (grades 1-7)

1966-1967

Lionel H. Sussman (grades 1-7)

Photos & Coordinates

St. Francois de Sales School

St. Francois de Sales School (circa 1935) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 33.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.71809, W97.12805
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tache School / Queen Elizabeth School (Kenny Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Queen Elizabeth School / Henri Bergeron School (363 Enfield Crescent, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Coming Together: A History of Howden, unpublished manuscript by Rob Stewart and Howden History Steering Committee, 2019.

This page was prepared by Ken Niziol, Rob Stewart, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.