Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strathclair School No. 284 (Strathclair, RM of Yellowhead)
The Strathclair School District was organized formally in 1884 and a school operated in Strathclair in what is now the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead. In 1913, it became Strathclair Consolidated School when it consolidated with one-room schools from the surrounding vicinity: Elgin School No. 318 and Major School No. 758. Over the years, students from other rural schools came here as they closed: Green Bluff School No. 759, Penrith School No. 813, Wolfe Creek School No. 817, Holylea School No. 904, Pattison School No. 1376, and Marney School No. 275. The school building was demolished in 1973 and is commemorated on the site by an engraved stone sign.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Council reports,” Birtle Eyewitness, 3 October 1961, page 10.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Trustees conduct regular meeting,” Hamiota Echo, 13 September 1988, page 7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 February 2021