Historic Sites of Manitoba: Green Bluff School No. 759 (RM of Yellowhead)
The Green Bluff School District was organized formally in May 1893 and a school building was erected the following year at this site in what is now the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead. In addition to classes, the building was also used for services by the local Methodist Church (later the United Church). The original building was at some time replaced by another wood frame structure. The school closed in 1962 and the district was dissolved in 1963. Remaining students went to Strathclair Consolidated School No. 284 or Shoal Lake Consolidated School No. 2352. The school building is was moved to Minnedosa where it was renovated into a private residence. On 6 August 1967, a stone monument was erected at its former site. A model of the former school building is at the Strathclair Museum.
Among the teachers of Green Bluff School were Gilda Marion Menzies and Catherine Simpson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ripples On The Lake: A History of Shoal Lake Municipality, 1884-1984 by Shoal Lake History Book Committee, 1984.
We thank Malcolm Bell for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 18 May 2018
Back to top of page