Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wolfe Creek School No. 817 (RM of Yellowhead)
The Wolfe Creek School District was established formally in June 1894 and a one-room schoolhouse was erected the following year in what is now the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead, at NE24-17-23W on land donated by John McNair. The school closed in 1959 and its remaining students went to Strathclair Consolidated School No. 284 or Shoal Lake Consolidated School No. 2352. The land became part of the Birdtail River School Division. The school building is no longer present at its former site but a commemorative model of the building is located one mile east.
Among the teachers who worked at Wolfe Creek School were Neil J. McLean (1895-1896) and Ellen Elizabeth Wherrett.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ripples On The Lake: A History of Shoal Lake Municipality, 1884-1984 by Shoal Lake History Book Committee, 1984.
Obituary [Ellen Elizabeth Wherrett], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 October 2015.
We thank Malcolm Bell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 December 2018
Back to top of page