The Elgin School District was organized formally in July 1885 and a one-room school operated at SE5-6-21W in the Rural Municipality of Strathclair (now the RM of Yellowhead). The district was dissolved in 1913 and its catchment area became part of the Strathclair Consolidated School District.
Among the teachers of Elgin School was Percy D. Harris (1891).
Commemorative sign for Elgin School (September 2015)
Source: Ken Storie
Site Location (lat/long): N50.44704, W100.34630
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elgin Consolidated School No. 153 (Elgin, RM of Whitewater)
“Personalities,” Manitoba School Journal, Vol. 6, No. 9, May 1944, page 2.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Ken Storie and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 August 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.