Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Creek School No. 1360 / Piney Municipal School (Piney, RM of Piney)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Pine Creek School District was established in February 1906 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in Piney in the Rural Municipality of Piney. A second classroom was added in 1928. It became part of the Piney Municipal School District in 1936. A new, three-classroom school was constructed in 1950 but it was destroyed by fire on 2 January 1952. While a replacement could be built, classes were held in the church, hall, medical clinic, and municipal office. Construction of the present structure was completed by September 1952. By 1960, with an enrollment of 130 students, and high school students arriving from the Whitemouth Lake, Burns, and Vassar areas, the building was already too small so an old one-room schoolhouse was brought into town for additional classroom space. An addition was made to this building in late 1963. Five years later, the school district was dissolved and the school became part of the Boundary School Division.

Starting in 1971, students in grades 7 to 12 were bused to Shevchenko Collegiate in Vita while those in grades 1 to 6 remained at Piney. By 1996, all Piney children went to Vita. A local Hutterite Colony used the now-vacant building for two years until their own school could be constructed. It closed permanently in 1998 and the building is now privately owned. A monument erected in front of the former school building in 2004 by the Piney History Book Committee commemorates the schools that consolidated to form the Piney Municipal School: Birchlawn School No. 2111, Evergreen School No. 1599, Hungarian School No. 1662, Menisino School No. 1582, Pine Creek School No. 1360, Pine Valley School No. 1168, Spurgrave School No. 1469, and Wintergreen School No. 2118. Other schools that formed part of the Piney Municipal School system were Overton School No. 1663 and Ackland School No. 2214.

Principals

No information.

Teachers

Period

Teachers

1906-1928

Ingihad Markusson (1906-1907), Mindy Gislason (1907-1908), Jennie Johnson (1908-1909), Thorum Thorakson (1909-1911), Ingiborg Bjornson (1909-1910), Emilie Palmason (1911-1912), Sarah Holland (1912-1914), John Saunderson (1914-1915), H. McKillop (1914-1915), W. J. King (1915-1916), Oli Olason (1916-1917), H. Peterson (1916-1917), Elizabeth Kempton (1917-1918), Magnea Einarson (1918-1919), Leana Booke (1919-1920), Andrea Holmfridur Anderson (1920-1922), C. Moncreiff Jones (1922-1923), A. H. Anderson (1923-1924), P. M. Petursson (1923-1924), Freda Eyford Anderson (1924-1925), H. Sigurdson (1925-1927), Amy Nisbett (1927-1928)

1928-1950

Mildred McLaren (1928-1930), May Borley (1928-1929), Margaret Goodman (1929-1932), I. Robertson (1930-1931), Helen Stenhouse (1931-1933), Alice Wardrop (1932-1934), June Wardrop (1933-1935), Austin Dale (1934-1937), Lila B. Ellis (1936-1938), Thelma Grey (1937-1941), Olaf Arnason (1938-1939), Christine MacDonald (1939-1941), Margaret Baragar (1941-1942), Gertrude Barnes (1941-1942), Mr. Pauls (1941-1942), Mrs. Fanning (1941-1942), Mr. Burgess (1941-1942), Alma Schiebe (1942-1944), M. Mueller (1942-1944), Emma Schiebe (1942-1944), Miss Ruseneault (1944-1945), John Clarke (1944-1945), Ruth Mills (1945-1946), Miss Vincent (1946-1947), Glen Cowan (1946-1947), Irene Ruel (1947-1948), Gisele Ruel (1947-1948), Maria Montez (1949-1950), A. H. Eyford (1949-1950), S. M. Hemphill (1949-1950), J. C. Flood (1949-1950)

1950-1963

J. C. Flood (1950-1951), T. Fleming (1950-1951), S. Hemphill (1950-1951), R. Anderson (1951-1953), F. Gustaw (1951-1952), S. Norman (1951-1952), T. Fleming (1951-1952), Jean Pawluk (1952-1954), Tannis Sigurjonsson (1952-1954), Florence Ricktik (1953-1955), Kate Klassen (1954-1955), Mary Myrovich (1954-1955), P. J. Loewen (1955-1956), K. Klassen (1955-1956), N. Loewen (1955-1956), Anita Decaire (1956-1957), Matt Muzyka (1956-1957), Frank Senkow (1956-1963), Ann Lolly (1957-1958), Sheila Norman (1957-1963), Doris Hovorka (1958-1962), Marvin Hovorka (1958-1960), Inette Asmundson (1961-1963), Maureen Fennell (1961-1962), Mary Sawka (1962-1963), Lillian Anderson (1962-1963), and Locklyn Aitken (1962-1963)

1963-1988

Inette Asmundson (1963-1988), Mary Kwiatkowski (1963-1967), L. Stephens (1963-1964), Locklyn Aitken (1963-1964), Sheila Norman (1963-1968), Frank Senkow (1963-1966), Bill Sawka (1964-1965), Mary Jane Rampersad (1964-1965), Robert Preston (1965-1966), P. R. O. Crowley (1965-1966), Doris Hovorka (1965-1966), Marian Thibodeau (1965-1966), Diane Cote (1966-1967), Laurette Clarkson (1966-1969), John Giesbrecht (1966-1971), William Cooper (1966-1968), Barry Clarkson (1966-1969), M. Thibodeau (1967-1968), Mavis Asmundson (1969-1970), Harold Mills (1969-1970), Darlene Bolin Johansson (1970-1988), Enid Swaine (1974-1985), and Denise Lubiansky (1980-1985)

Photos & Coordinates

The original Pine Creek School with the second classroom at right

The original Pine Creek School with the second classroom at right (no date) by Clarence Moore
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 104.

The former Piney Municipal School building with a commemorative monument on the grounds in front of it

The former Piney Municipal School building with a commemorative monument on the grounds in front of it (September 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Pine Creek School commemorative monument

Pine Creek School commemorative monument (September 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.07633, W95.97921
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Piney Municipal Office (Piney, RM of Piney)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Creek Indian Residential School / Camperville Indian Residential School (Pine Creek First Nation)

Manitoba Organization: Pine Creek School Division No. 30

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Pine Valley Echoes: A History of Badger, Menisino and Piney by Piney Area History Book Committee, 1988. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P55Pin]

We thank Doris Hovorka (Sprague and District Historical Museum) and Margaret “Peggy” Sanders for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 May 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.