Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birchlawn School No. 2111 (RM of Piney)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at

As student overcrowding at Menisino School occurred in the early 1920s, there was demand for another school in the area. The Birchlawn School District was established in October 1924 and a schoolhouse operated at NE23-2-10E, on land provided by Anskar Johnson, in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Piney. The school became part of the Piney Municipal School District in 1936. The building was destroyed by fire in 1951 and a replacement school was promptly constructed. A teacherage was added in 1958. The school closed in June 1966, after which students from this area went to Pine Creek School.

The teachers who worked at Birchlawn School through the years were Josephine L. Halldorson (1924-1926), Amy Nesbitt (1926-1927), Elsie Anderson (1927-1928), Kathleen Moore (1928-1929), Ruth Young (1929-1931), Miss Hutney (1931-1932), William Kirbyson (1932-1936), Samuel Lewis (1938-1940), Abram Funk (1940-1941), Margret Freeman (1941-1942), Katie Peters (1942-1943), John Giesbrecht (1943-1944), Daphne Nystrom (1944-1945), Miss Holloway (1945-1946), Olga Demaniuk (1946-1947), Anne Boychuk (1947-1948), Adolph Schmidt (1948-1949), Anne Ostrowski (1949-1950), Julius Watsyk (1950-1951), Annette Vautrin (1951-1952), Hilda Bergen (1952-1953), Jean Derewianchuk (1953-1954), Miss Unger (1954-1955), Steve Semeniuk (1955-1956), Jean Shaw (1956-1957), Sonya Bozyk (1957-1958), Vicky Stadnyk (1958-1959), Miss Wasminty (1958-1959), Marion Thibodeau (1959-1960), Anne Fosty (1960-1961), Anthony Mallnuik (1961-1962), Helen Kozachenko (1962-1963), and John Giesbrecht (1963-1966).

Birchlawn School

Birchlawn School (no date) by Clarence Moore
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 96.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.14818, W96.14214
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Pine Valley Echoes: A History of Badger, Menisino and Piney by Piney Area History Book Committee, 1988. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P55Pin]

We thank Doris Hovorka (Sprague and District Historical Museum) for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.