Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources
Constructed between 1894 and 1897 by Scottish masons from Red River using local stone, this four-storey structure was said to be the first solid building northwest of Dauphin. It included a chapel, which was used for worship until a large stone church of the same design and material was constructed nearby between 1906 and 1910. Academic subjects were taught half-days to the higher grades, with instruction in home economics and agriculture taking up the rest of the time. Land was cleared for vegetable gardens and grain, to feed the cattle herd that was started. Over the years, the costs of financing increased until the Roman Catholic Mission could no longer operate the school. It was turned over to the federal government and eventually replaced by a new building to which children came as day students only. It closed in August 1969. The original stone school was demolished between February and March 1972. Its stones were dumped into Pine Creek to make a causeway but a few portions of its foundation are still present at the site.
A monument commemorating the residential school was erected next to Our Lady of Seven Sorrows Roman Catholic Church.
Photos & Maps
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Indian Residential School (RM of Cornwallis)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Indian Residential School Cemetery (RM of Cornwallis)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Old Indian Residential School Cemetery (Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birtle Indian Residential School (Birtle, Municipality of Prairie View)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elkhorn Indian Residential School (Elkhorn, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: MacKay Indian Residential School (Opaskwayak Cree Nation)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Portage la Prairie Indian Residential School (Crescent Road West, Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Creek Indian Residential School / Camperville Indian Residential School (Pine Creek First Nation)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Norway House Indian Residential School (Norway School)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Julia Clark School (611 Academy Road, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Creek School No. 1360 (RM of Piney)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Our Lady of Seven Sorrows Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery (Camperville, RM of Mountain)
Camperville and Duck Bay. Part 1 - Camperville by Gwen Palmer, Manitoba Pageant, Volume 18, Number 2, Winter 1973
We thank David Butterfield, Dennis Thompson, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 April 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.