Historic Sites of Manitoba: Menisino School No. 1582 (Menisino, RM of Piney)
The Menisino School District was established in August 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at 11-1-10E in the Rural Municipality of Piney. It became part of the Piney Municipal School District in 1936. The school closed in 1964 and, as of the late 1980s, the school building was standing vacant at NE35-1-10E. Only its concrete foundation was found during a visit to the site in 2013.
The teachers who worked at Menisino School through the years were Helga Samson (1912-1913), A. J. Thorvilson (1913-1915), Marjorie Hobbs (1915-1916), Kathleen Lahaie (1916-1917), A. Brookler (1917-1918), L. Farquhar (1918-1919), Ida Moscovitz (1919-1920), Bertha Christensen (1920-1921), Doris Adcock (1921-1923), Mabel G. Williams (1923-1924), Elsie Bowling (1924-1925), Laura K. Courtney (1925-1926), Alice T. Murkar (1926-1928), Betty Kosasky (1928-1929), Gunda M. Jernberg (1929-1932), Lillian Anderson (1932-1935), May E. Emes (1935-1938), Gertrude M. Barnes (1938-1941), Marie Alexiuk (1941-1942), John Tanchak (1942-1943), Nettie Shydlowski (1943-1944), D. Kassien (1945-1946), Daniel Olynyk (1946-1948), Paul Alexiuk (1948-1949), Stanley Wepruk (1949-1950), Orest Watsyk (1950-1951), Paul Werestriuk (1951-1952), Helen Kozachenko (1952-1953), John Reimer (1953-1954), Lena Bachewich (1954-1955), Jean Werestriuk (1955-1956), John Giesbrecht (1956-1958, 1959-1960), Mary Thiessen (1958-1959), Gerald Marsh (1960-1962), Leanore Gurney (1962-1963), and Sonya Molakoff (1963-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Pine Valley Echoes: A History of Badger, Menisino and Piney by Piney Area History Book Committee, 1988. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P55Pin]
We thank Doris Hovorka of the Sprague and District Historical Museum for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2015
Back to top of page