Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wintergreen School No. 2118 (RM of Piney)

The Wintergreen School District was established in March 1925 and a wood frame schoolhouse operated at NW11-2-11E in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Piney. In 1936, the school became part of the Piney Municipal School District. It closed permanently in 1953. In early 1963, the building was moved to the site of Burns School, which had been destroyed by fire. The former Wintergreen School site is now occupied by a microwave transmission tower.

The teachers who worked at Wintergreen School through the years were Marguerite Sharpe (1925-1926), Gertrude E. Seldon (1927-1928), Edythe L. Bradley (1928-1929), Esther Hankin (1929-1930), Anne Seibel (1930-1931), Irene Mundell (1931-1932), Vida MacDonald (1932-1933), Marjorie Patmore (1933-1935), Olaf Arnason (1935-1938), Christine MacDonald (1938-1940), F. Evelyn Russell (1940-1941), Velma Leslie (1940-1941), William Filion (1941-1942), Nick Krelaty (1942-1943), Elmer Turney (1942-1943), Margaret Mueller (1943-1944), Ethel Shumyla (1944-1945), Jean Hrynyk (1945-1946), Victoria Krelaty (1946-1947), Sally Olason (1947-1948), Leonard Sawatzky (1948-1949), Stella Mandzuik (1949-1950), Hildegard Schwarz (1950-1951), Minty Reimer (1951-1952), and Elivera Sandlan (1952-1953).

Wintergreen School

Wintergreen School (no date) by Clarence Moore
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 97.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.11843, W96.02324
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Pine Valley Echoes: A History of Badger, Menisino and Piney by Piney Area History Book Committee, 1988. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P55Pin]

We thank Doris Hovorka of the Sprague and District Historical Museum for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 December 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.