Historic Sites of Manitoba: Miniota Municipal School No. 149 (Miniota, Municipality of Prairie View)
The Miniota School District No. 389 was formally established in 7-14-26 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View. In April 1913, the school was moved from its original site, joining Beulah School No. 162 and Sarahville School No. 680 to form the Miniota Consolidated School No. 680 in the village of Miniota.
In April 1919, the school came under the authority of the Miniota Municipal School Board which, in addition to operating this school, also consolidated several other rural schools, some of which remaining operating under the control of the board. Included in the new, larger district of Miniota Municipal School No. 149 were Blaris School No. 358, Palmerston School No. 638, Wynona School No. 1048, Omar School No. 1194, Brighton School No. 1192, Thoona School No. 1241, Isabella School No. 1333, Glenlochar School No. 1369, and Uno School No. 1674.
Among the other teachers of Miniota School was J. L. Morrow.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Trustees conduct regular meeting,” Hamiota Echo, 13 September 1988, page 7.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2019
Back to top of page