Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brighton School No. 1192 (Municipality of Prairie View)
A sign in the Municipality of Prairie View marks the former site of Brighton School. Established in June 1902, the stone schoolhouse closed in April 1919 and its remaining students went to Arrow River School. Some rocks from the building remain at the site.
Among the teachers of Brighton School was Miss E. Shier, Miss M. Sutherland, Miss Short, Miss Roxborough, Miss Hopkins, Miss Dryden, Miss Ada Venables, Miss Minnie Grey, Minnie Tate Ford (1910-1913), Miss Sinclair, and Earnest Martin.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Bridging the Years: 1879-1967 by Miniota Women's Institute, 1967, page 59.
Obituary [Mrs. John Wiggins], Miniota Herald, 21 August 1969, page 4.
We thank Mark Tennant for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 May 2021