Historic Sites of Manitoba: MacGregor School No. 240 (Fox Street, MacGregor, Municipality of North Norfolk)
A monument, situated in front of the present MacGregor Elementary School, commemorates MacGregor School, formally established in September 1883 with a building erected at NW33-11-10W in 1886. It was replaced by a structure designed by Winnipeg architect H. S. Griffith, and constructed around 1903.
The original school bell sits atop the monument. As of 1 January 1965, it became part of MacGregor Consolidated School No. 2434, along with several schools in the vicinity, including Beaver Creek School No. 103, Birmingham School No. 2086, Chipping Hill School No. 488, Emmeline School No. 683, Image Creek School No. 712, Macaulay School No. 1159, Path Head School No. 675, Southend School No. 1158, and Squirrel Creek School No. 76.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2018
Back to top of page