Memorable Manitobans: Leopold Raymond Labossiere (1913-1969)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Somerset on 15 February 1913, where he received an elementary and secondary education, he received a BA degree from St. Boniface College (1936). He taught at St. Louis School No. 964 and Deleau Consolidated School No. 785, and was Principal of Ladywood School No. 555 (1940-1941), MacGregor Collegiate (1942-1948), and Grandin School No. 1024 (1948-1951). During this period, he completed a BEd degree (1948). In 1951, he was appointed a School Inspector, based at Roblin, and later at Russell, during which he worked toward establishment of the Pelly Trail School Division. He became Assistant Director of Administration for the Manitoba Department of Education in August 1960, based at Winnipeg, becoming Director four years later. He died suddenly at his Winnipeg home, 609 Manchester Boulevard, on 4 January 1969. He was buried in the Somerset Cemetery.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 1969, page 23.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Ed Labossiere for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 February 2017
Back to top of page