Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chipping Hill School No. 488 (Municipality of North Norfolk)

The Chipping Hill School District was established formally in March 1887 in what is now the Municipality of North Norfolk. The first log school was built the next year on SE24-10-11W and named for the English birthplace of the landowner, Mr. E. Hamblin. A new frame school was built in 1902 on NE13-10-11 and served for many years as an educational and social centre for the community. It closed due to consolidation in June 1965 and students henceforth attended MacGregor Consolidated School No. 2434.

A monument at the site was dedicated on 23 June 1991 to the students, teachers, and pioneers of the local community. In 2010, a restoration project for the school building was undertaken by local residents, who continue to use it for community functions. Also known as Rose Hill School, it is not the same facility as Rosehill School No. 90 that operated near Baldur from 1883 to 1960.

The former Chipping Hill School building

The former Chipping Hill School building (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Chipping Hill School building

The former Chipping Hill School building (August 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Interior of the former Chipping Hill School building

Interior of the former Chipping Hill School building (August 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Interior of the former Chipping Hill School building

Interior of the former Chipping Hill School building (August 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Chipping Hill School commemorative monument

Chipping Hill School commemorative monument (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84025, W98.82537
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosehill School No. 90 (Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Thirlstane School No. 483 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 879.

We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 August 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.