Historic Sites of Manitoba: Image Creek School No. 712 (Municipality of North Norfolk)
The Image Creek School District was established formally in May 1892, in what is now the Municipality of North Norfolk, in the southwest quarter of 27-12-9W. A building was erected at a cost of $642, on a one-acre site purchased for $1 from local farmer George Menzies. From 1893 to 1898, the school operated from May to November each year. A new building was constructed on the same site in 1952, at a cost of $11,530. It served until 1961. The next year, the school district was consolidated with Pine Creek School Division and remaining students were bused to MacGregor. In January 1965, the district merged formally with MacGregor Consolidated School No. 2434. The building was sold and removed to a site west of the city for use as South Mount Pleasant School. A monument was unveiled at the original school site in July 1991.
Among the teachers of Image Creek School were A. S. McCaig (1893), Miss Beddome, Miss M. Oliver (1894-1895), Miss M. Spice, Miss Alice Findlay, Miss Van Alsime, Miss Elizabeth Robertson, Miss Millar, Miss W. Love, Miss Frazer (1901), Miss Ethel Disney (1902-1903), Miss S. MacMorne, Miss B. Millar, Miss Welling (1903), Mr. Coates, Miss Lily Lamont, Miss Gaudin (1907), Sterling Mathew, Miss Louise Harkiss, J. A. Wright, Cora Grobb (1913), Mattie Halliday (1913), Miss Ingram (1914), Miss M. Sissons (1915), Miss M. McLachlan (1916), Miss Gyles (1917), Miss Lettie Gair (1918), Miss Ethel Angst (1920-1924), Miss Wood (1925-1926), Miss M. Dunn (1927-1930), Miss B. Gordon, Miss Ann Moffat (1931-1932), Miss Edna Nichol (1933-1934), Miss Lytle (1935), Miss Jean Wilson (1936), Miss A. Munro (1937-1939), Miss Pie (1940), Miss Brooks (1940), Miss Nelson (1941-1944), Miss Earls (1944-1945), Miss H. Crealock (1945-1946), Miss L. English (1946-1947), Miss D. Thompson (1947-1949), Miss Chalman (1949), Miss M. Young (1950), Miss E. Campbell (1950), and Miss Louise Sumner (1951).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 928.
Image Creek Beef Ring Fonds, MG10 E8, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 February 2018
Back to top of page