Manitoba Historical Society
Search
MHS website:
 


Past Lane
News


Upcoming
Events


LG Award
Nominations


Manitoba
History

No. 76


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba


Questions on
Manitoba
History

Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Verendrye School (290 Lilac Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

La Verendrye School, one of Winnipeg’s grandest old schools from the boomtown era, is set perfectly between Jessie Avenue and Warsaw Avenue on Lilac Street. Though residential and business areas quickly grew up around it, when it opened in 1909 La Verendrye School was on the outskirts of the developing city. Reporting on the school’s cornerstone laying on 8 July 1909 by Ward 1 Trustee F. C. Hubbard, the Manitoba Free Press wrote, “Yesterday visitors journeyed to the ground or within 100 yards of it by electric car and found there was still something of Winnipeg beyond them, though the streets lose some of their garb of traffic and dwellings are hidden in areas of native bush.”

Based on a design by School Division Architect and Commissioner of School Buildings J. B. Mitchell and constructed of local brick and limestone, La Verendrye School is a commingling of Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival and Classical Revival architectural styles. Among La Verendrye School’s near-century of alumni, you will find Terry Fox’s father, Rolly and artist Nathan Carlson. The centennial of La Verendrye School, now a French immersion elementary school, occurred in 2009. To prepare, the school is involved in a major history project. They are setting up a historical classroom, as it would have appeared in the early 1900s, complete with teaching aids of the era. This will enable children to live their history.

Principals

Period

Principal

1909-1911

David Merritt Duncan (1870-1951)

1911-1912

William Ewart Gladstone Grant (1884-1935)

1912-1916

William Henry Clipperton (1886-1917)

1916-1943

Alfred Dickson (1876-1957)

1943-1950

Marion Elizabeth MacAulay (1890-1974)

1950-1954

George Edward Whitlaw (1904-1996)

1954-1964

Myrtle Rietta Conway (1908-2005)

1964-1970

Hilda Kinney Ellis (1905-1987)

1970-1973

?

1973-?

Herbert L. W. Nemish (c1923-2012)

?-?

?

?-2005

Marie-France Gaisson

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1909-1910

?

1910-1911

Mr. W. F. Loucks, Mr. S. A. Campbell, Miss A. L. Brunsterman, Miss Elsie Moore, Miss B. M. Clark, Miss E. Mary McDougall, Miss Clara Groff, Miss C. A. Brydon, Miss E. J. Robertson, Miss M. H. Acheson, Miss J. Leckie, Miss Olive Bishop

1911-1912

Elementary Department: Miss M. Sittlington, Miss C. Groff, Miss E. Thompson, Miss E. J. Robertson, Miss M. H. Acheson, Miss J. Leckie, Miss O. Bishop. Collegiate Department: Mr. W. F. Loucks, Mr. J. S. Little, Miss A. L. Brunsterman, Miss B. Clark, Miss E. Moore, Miss E. M. MacDougall, Miss G. Edwards

1912-1913

Miss C. L. Groff, Miss M. Acheson, Miss E. Annis, Miss E. Thompson, Miss E. J. Robertson, Miss A. Groff, Miss Nellie Young, Miss E. Holiday, Miss O. Bishop, Miss Ethel Morrison

1913-1914

Miss B. Leitch, Miss Edith Duddles, Miss A. Groff, Miss E. Holiday, Miss M. Madill, Miss Nellie Young, Miss E. Robertson, Miss E. Thompson, Miss M. Gall, Miss M. H. Acheson, Miss C. Groff

1914-1915

Mrs. M. Elliott, Miss M. Acheson, Miss E. Thompson, Miss E. Robertson, Miss M. Drummond, Miss M. Madill, Miss A. Roberts, Miss A. Groff, Miss Nora Lane, Miss E. Duddles, Miss M. Staples, Miss B. Leitch, Miss Gladys Featherstone

1915-1916

C. Groff, M. Acheson, E. Thompson, E. Robertson, M. Madill, A. Roberts, A. Groff, N. Lane, M. Staples, E. Duddles, B. Leach, G. Featherstone, K. Gowanlock

1916-1917

Effie Thompson, Elizabeth Thompson, M. H. Acheson, E. Robertson, A. E. Roberts, M. Madill, A. H. Groff, N. Lane, M. G. Staples, E. Duddles, B. A. Lietch

1917-1918

Effie Thompson, M. H. Acheson, A. E. Roberts, H. M. Ewing, W. Andrews, L. Main, A. Groff, N. Lane, E. M. Hickie, E. Duddles, B. A. Leitch, B. Stevens

1918-1919

Effie Thompson, M. Acheson, A. E. Roberts, E. Brady, A. Groff, N. Lane, D. Cuthbert, E. M. Hickie, A. Gibson, E. M. Duddles, B. Stevens, D. Brady, J. Haxley

1919-1920

E. Brady, D. Brady, I. Burke, E. M. Coke, D. Cuthbert, L. Crawford, A. Gossett-Jackson, J. Haxley, E. M. Hickie, A. E. Roberts, B. Stevens

Photos & Maps

La Verendrye School

La Verendrye School (no date)
Source: Winnipeg School Division

La Verendrye School

La Verendrye School (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86833, W97.15619
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Teachers named for all schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 September 1910, page 3.

“Assignment of teachers for Winnipeg Schools which open on Sept. 15,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 September 1911, page 9.

“City schools staff assembling in Sept.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1912, page 8.

“Opening of the Winnipeg public schools has been set for Monday next,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 August 1913, pages 1 and 2.

“Here’s your teacher!” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 August 1914, page 6.

“School Board assigns teachers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1915, page 9.

“Reduce staff of teachers at high schools Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 August 1916, pages 1 & 12.

“Boundaries of schools are named,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 24 August 1917, page 9.

“Complete plans to open schools Tuesday for 30,000 children,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 30 August 1918, page 14.

“Teachers are selected for various grades,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1919, page 3.

“Winnipeg schools, No. 23—La Verendrye,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 November 1922, page 5.

“School posts filled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 May 1973, page 74.

“New Principals named for five city schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 June 2005, page B6.

This page was prepared by Reid Dickie, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 17 February 2015

Historical Sites of Manitoba

A collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that some sites in this collection are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Sites Wanted | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   

 
To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home | Terms & Conditions | FAQ | Contact Us
Privacy Policy | Donations Policy
Website © 1998-2015 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.