Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lafortune School No. 1304 / LaVerendrye School (Woodridge, RM of Piney)
The Lafortune School District was established in August 1904 and a one-storey wood frame schoolhouse operated in Woodridge in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Piney. In 1968, all of the local rural schools were consolidated to form LaVerendrye School, in a new building, as part of the Seine River School Division. It operated until closing in 1992. The former school building was then converted into a community centre.
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Doris Hovorka of the Sprague and District Historical Museum for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 September 2019
Back to top of page