Historic Sites of Manitoba: Griswold School No. 425 (Griswold, RM of Sifton)
Griswold School District was formally established in September 1885, in Griswold in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. The present brick building dates from 1897, built of a design by Brandon architect W. H. Shillinglaw. In 1959, grades 5-8 of the three-room school were transferred to Oak Lake’s Assiniboine School. It operated as a two-room school until 1968. From 1973 to 1976, the facility hosted only grades 1 to 3 and a private kindergarten class prior to the Fort la Bosse School Division offering the kindergarten option at Assiniboine School. The school closed its doors following the 1975-1976 school year. The building was renovated for use as a community hall. A minute book for the school district, from 1907 to 1943, is held at the S. J. McKee Archives of Brandon University.
Photos & Maps
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Griswold grads hold reunion,” Brandon Sun, 1 September 1976, page 31.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 December 2018
Back to top of page