Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deleau School No. 785 (Deleau, RM of Sifton)
The Deleau School District was organized in April 1893 and a school building operated in the village of Deleau in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. In 1919, it became the Deleau Consolidated School District when it was consolidated with Menteith Union School No. 313 and Maffam School No. 727. The school closed in 1965 and henceforth students from this area went to Hartney Consolidated School No. 2389 or Souris Consolidated School No. 2388. The district was dissolved the following year. The building is no longer present at the site but a stone monument at the tree-lined site, now a public park, commemorates it.
Photos & Maps
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 April 2018
Back to top of page