Historic Sites of Manitoba: Souris School No. 285 (1884-1960)
The Souris School District was established formally, in the village of Souris, in 1884. Originally occupying a wood frame structure, the school moved into a two-storey, brick building in 1894, designed by Brandon architect W. H. Shillinglaw. In 1912, a second school building, designed by local architect C. H. Brindle, was erected beside it for use as a Collegiate.
In January 1960, the school became Souris Consolidated School No. 2388 when it was consolidated with several districts from the surrounding countryside, including Breezelawn School No. 169, Riverview School No. 279, Whitefield School No. 473, Botany School No. 486, Huntingdon School No. 542, and Wolflea School No. 590. As other rural schools closed, such as Lily School No. 382, their students came here too.
The collegiate building was demolished in 1960 but the original building continued to be used until at least the 1990s. It too was eventually demolished.
Other teachers at Souris School included H. L. Adolph, J. W. Beckett, W. J. Wallace, George L. Dibblee, Richard “Dick” Moore, Eliza Briggs Dolmage (c1915-1922), Frank Harder (1930s), Leonore Cowie (1947-1948), and Ila Clark Lang (1947-1953).
Photos & Maps
“Souris,” Brandon Daily Sun, 25 August 1900, page 2.
“School Board meets,” Brandon Daily Sun, 18 July 1901, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2016
Back to top of page