The Menteith School District was established formally in November 1883 but a school did not operate here, on the northeast corner of 8-7-22 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Sifton, until 1890. It was a union school by virtue of its catchment area including land in adjoining Rural Municipality of Glenwood. It closed in October 1919 as local children began attending the Deleau Consolidated School.
Menteith Union School commemorative sign (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.56197, W100.49823
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 July 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!