Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bukovina School / Lord Roberts School No. 1218 (RM of Stuartburn)
Known as the Bukovina School District when it was organized formally in February 1903, it was renamed Lord Roberts at some point. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SW16-1-6E in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. The district was dissolved until 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division.
It is believed that, after the school closed, the building was moved to Vita and used as a classroom. When a multi-room school building was constructed there, the one-room school was sold.
School District Formation Files [Bukovina School District No. 1218], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Don Machnee for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 November 2015
Back to top of page