Historic Sites of Manitoba: Blumenhof School No. 64 (RM of Hanover)
The Blumenhof School District was organized formally in November 1878 and a school building was erected in the hamlet of Blumenhof (“flower garden” in German, spelled Blumenhoff in some sources) at 23-7-6E in what is now the Rural Municipality of Hanover. The building was moved a mile north some time later. In 1900, a new school was built a half mile south of the former location, on 25-7-6E, and the old school was converted into a barn.
In 1932, this building was moved to 26-7-6E then was replaced by a two-classroom building at the same site, in 1950. A year later, a third classroom was added in the basement. The district was dissolved in 1968 and the school became part of the Hanover Unitary School Division. In need of more classroom space, the building from Ridgewood South School was brought to the site and the school was kept open until a new school opened in the village of Blumenort. Then the building closed, was sold, and renovated into an apartment block. In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected at the site by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Other teachers who worked at Blumenhof School between 1906 and 1968 included: Heinrich Enns, P. P. Wohlgemuth, P. S. Guenther, P. J. Loewen, John C. Reimer, Helen Janz, Helen Braun, Peter Hiebert, John P. Kornelsen, Agnes Friesen, Florence Friesen, F. J. Williams, K. R. Hoemsen, Frank Goossen, Laura Plett, C. D. Wiebe, Henry Schultz, Heinrich Rempel, J. S. Guenther, J. Unrau, Albert L. Reimer, Waldon Barkman, J. E. Suderman, Helen Willms, Susan Friesen, Elvera Schroeder, Anne Sawatsky, Marlene Friesen, Herman Janzen, Jacob J. Penner, Irvin H. Penner, William K. Schellenberg, Mary Kroeker, Bill Penner, and Gerhard J. P. Kliewer (1941).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division, 1878-1968 by John K. Schellenberg, Steinbach: The Board of the Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985.
We thank Glen Klassen and Ernest Braun of the EastMenn Historical Society for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2017
Back to top of page