Historic Sites of Manitoba: Blumenort School No. 62 (Blumenort, RM of Hanover)
The Blumenort School District was established formally in November 1878 and a one-room schoolhouse operated near the present-day village of Blumenort in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. The first teacher was Cornelius P. Friesen, who was paid $50 plus oats and hay for his livestock plus firewood. He was expected to construct the benches and tables for the school. In the spring of 1920, a new school was constructed at NE21-7-6E, which served the educational needs of the community until 1935 when the district was subdivided to form the new Twin Creek School District No. 2260. The building was moved to SW21-7-6E where it became Twin Creek School, while a new school was constructed one mile north of the old site, as Blumenort School. This building was expanded in 1940 to a two-room structure, with a third classroom added in 1961. Four years later, a new three-classroom school was built one-half mile north and one-half mile east of the former location.
On 9 January 1967, the Twin Creek School was destroyed by fire so its students were bused to Blumenort School. To accommodate the increased enrollment, a portable hut was attached to the existing school as a fourth classroom. In 1968, administration of the school was taken over by the Hanover School Division. In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the teachers who worked at Blumenort School through the years were: Cornelius P. Friesen, John B. Toews, Gerhard K. Giesbrecht, Heinrich R. Reimer, David P. Reimer, Mary Unger, Gerhard G. Kornelson, Wilhelm Kornelson (1927-1928), Frank Wiebe, Abram P. Toews, John C. Reimer, Aaron R. Wiebe, Margaret Toews, Gerhard Kliewer (?-1944), George K. Reimer, Helen Pankratz, Betty Koop, Annie Isaac, Irvin Penner, Art Wiebe, Lena Schinkel, Helen Letkeman, Alvira Wiebe, Hilda Friesen, Annie Penner, Melvin Penner, Eva Fast, Henry Dueck, and Ruth Toews.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Glen Klassen and Ernest Braun of the EastMenn Historical Society for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2017
Back to top of page