Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ridgewood School No. 274 / Ridgewood North School (RM of Ste. Anne)
The Ridgewood School District was established in 1882 and a school building was erected, at a cost of $700, on the southwest quarter of 19-7-7 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Ste. Anne. It opened for classes in June 1883 with Miss Elizabeth Nesbitt as teacher.
In 1920, local ratepayers issued debentures to cover a loan of $5,000 for the construction of a new school building at a site a half mile east of the former one. In the fall of 1941, with enrollment growing, a second classroom was opened in its basement. Eight years later, with still greater numbers of students, the decision was made to build a second school, to be called Ridgewood South, at NE6-7-7E. The older school became known as Ridgewood North, and a second classroom in its basement was opened in 1955.
The Ridgewood South School was destroyed by fire on 30 January 1957 and classes were held in the Clearsprings United Church building until a replacement could be erected later that year. Two years later, the overcrowded Ridgewood North School was replaced by a new structure, erected by the Steinbach Lumber Yards at a cost of just under $18,000.
Administration of the two schools was taken over by the Hanover Unitary School Division in December 1967 and they were closed, with students from Ridgewood North bused to Blumenhof School and those from Ridgewood South going to Steinbach School. The Ridgewood South building was moved to Blumenhof to accommodate the additional students and its site was sold. The Ridgewood North building and site was sold to an Evangelical Mennonite Church.
Principals (Ridgewood School / Ridgewood North School)
Teachers (Ridgewood School / Ridgewood North School)
Teachers (Ridgewood South School)
Among the other teachers of Ridgewood School Elizabeth Nesbitt (1883-?), Ivorny M. Clyhorn (1893), S. Ga? (1893), Louis J. Loader (1894), W. H. Elliott (1895-1896), Annie W. McFarlane (1897-1899), Alonzo V. White (1900), Ernest T. Leech (1900), Olive E. Steel (1900), Linnie R. Kennedy (1901), Edith Shantz (1902), George A. McLelland (1903), Mildred A. Middleton (1904), Robert Adrian Borland (1905-1906), Mildred Bain (1907), Florence Campbell (1908), Christine Forrester (1909), Gladys Smith (1910), Albert H. McCorman [McGorman?] (1911), Jeanette Hamilton (1911), Velva V. Morrow (1912), Helen B. Corbett (1913), Dora Jonasson (1914), Eva G. Graham (1915), Christy Anne Keating (1915-1916, 1917), Rachel I. Hill (1916), Mary C. Unger (1918-1919), E. C. Keating (1919-1921), Nellie M. Glover (1921-1922), Winnifred C. Jeeves (1922), Anne E. Gilchrist (1923-1924), Anna G. Steel (1924-1925), Annabel T. Sloan (1925-1926), Lena F. Reimer (1926-1927), Alexander McNeill (1927-1930), Nellie Irene Keating (1930-1935), Anita Olympia Heim (1935-1936), Benjamin Unruh (1936-1939), and Edith May Kelly (1939-1941).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division, 1878-1968 by John K. Schellenberg, Steinbach: The Board of the Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Ridgewood School No. 274 Registers of Attendance, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Ridgewood School No. 274 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 16 June 2021