Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belmont Consolidated School No. 441 (Belmont, RM of Prairie Lakes)
The Craigilea School District was formally established in February 1886 and it continued with this name until July 1917 when it became Belmont Consolidated School. It occupied a six-classroom, brick building erected in 1904 on a design by Winnipeg architect H. S. Griffith, in the village of Belmont in the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes. Over the years, several rural schools were consolidated with it: Alma School No. 668, Clifton Bank School No. 777, Delta School No. 669, Huntley School No. 477, Mount Hope School No. 1302, Pelican Lake School No. 337, and Woodbine School No. 1189. The school closed in 1968, when high school students were transferred to Glenboro, and the building was demolished. A seniors home was built on the site and, in August 1989, a commemorative monument was unveiled here, along with the bell from the former school.
The present Belmont school building, constructed to alleviate overcrowding in the old structure, dates from 1960. Closed sometime after 1988, it stood vacant at the time of a 2013 site visit.
Among the other teachers of Belmont School were Miss Mary Arnold (1916-1917), Miss E. Greenwood (1919), and Ermina Shier.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Belmont, Man”, Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, September 1916, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Path of the Pioneers: Belmont and District, 1889-1989 by Belmont History Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B44 Pat]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 April 2017
Back to top of page