Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belmont School / Lloyd George School No. 453 (RM of Thompson)

Known originally as Belmont School when it was established formally in July 1885, during the First World War it was renamed for David Lloyd George (British Prime Minister between 1916 and 1922), around the time that Craigilea School became Belmont Consolidated School. A school building was erected at NW10-4-6W in the Rural Municipality of Thompson. In late 1937, the students asked Lloyd George for an autographed photo which they received in January 1938.

The school closed in 1958 and its remaining students went to Clegg School No. 109 or Miami Consolidated School No. 74. The district was dissolved the following year. The building was sold and moved to a farmyard at SE10-4-6W. A metal sign, dedicated in 2000, commemorates it at the former school site.

Among the teachers who worked at Lloyd George School through the early years were Lance Gill (1886), W. S. Lewis (1887), Lewis W. Studley (1888), George Paterson (1889), Mary Brommell (1890), William Morrison (1890-1893), S. D. Cameron (1893-1894), Thompson Ballagh (1894-1904), L. Maude Stephenson (1905), Bertha M. Paterson (1905-1906), Sadie Stevenson (1907), Howard Foster (1907), Nellie Duncan (1908-1909), Millie George (1909-1910), Margaret Rehill (1911-1913), Mildred Clark (1912), Lillian Brown (1913-1915), Bertha Riddell (1915), Laura Taylor (1916), Anne Stewart (1917-1918), Margaret Angus (1918), Rosa Johnson (1919), Fanny Sterling (1919), Eva Pearson (1920), and Alexander Todd (1920).

Lloyd George School

Lloyd George School (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 62.

Lloyd George School

Lloyd George School sign (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.28907, W98.20487
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belmont Consolidated School No. 441 (Belmont, RM of Strathcona)

Sources:

“Lloyd George sends autographed photo to Manitoba school,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 January 1938, page 9.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Miami & R. M. of Thompson Chronicles by Thompson History Book Committee, c1998. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.M50Mia]

We thank Doug Irwin and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 2 July 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.