Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodbine School No. 1189 (RM of Strathcona)
The Woodbine School District was established formally in May 1902 and a school building was erected the next year at NW34-5-15W in the Rural Municipality of Strathcona. The school closed in July 1917 and its remaining students went to Belmont Consolidated School No. 441. The building was sold and moved to Hilton where it was renovated into a private residence. A monument on the former site commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Woodbine School were Miss Bessie Clark (1903), Miss Wilson (1907-1908), Miss Birdie Woods, Miss Laura Crewson, Miss Finch, Miss Margaret Matchett, and Miss Fanny Kinley.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Path of the Pioneers: Belmont and District, 1889-1989 by Belmont History Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B44 Pat]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 April 2015
Back to top of page