Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine School (175 Winston Road, Winnipeg)
Designed by architects Pratt & Ross, and constructed by Hazelton & Wallin Limited, Assiniboine School was completed in October 1922. Brick, wood and stucco infilling combine with ubiquitous limestone trim to offer visual interest and a lively optimistic feeling around the exterior. Contrasting red brick accentuates corner and window trim details. Large brackets and exposed rafter tails add horizontal emphasis. The entry hall features a large striking mural depicting an aboriginal campsite, one of two stylized murals installed in 1930. Both murals were painted in the 1920s by students from the School of Art at the University of Manitoba. One of the murals disappeared in the 1960s and its whereabouts remains a mystery. It is believed the remaining painting is by student artist Lulu Bingham.
Among the other teachers of Assiniboine School was Mabel Morrow (?-1951).
Photos & Maps
“Wallace named as Principal of St. James School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 May 1936, page 5.
“Assiniboine students honor retiring principal,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 June 1952, page 3.
“Address List, Municipal School District of St. James No. 7,”St. James Assiniboia School Division.
Assiniboine School History, St. James Assiniboia School Division, 1974.
The Winnipeg School of Art: The Early Years by Marilyn Baker, University of Manitoba, 1984.
We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall, Christopher Pate, Nathan Kramer, and Maureen Monk Irvine for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 6 January 2018
Back to top of page