Memorable Manitobans: Archibald Smart Wood (1850-1926)
Farmer, municipal official.
Born at Forfarshire [now Angus], Scotland on 9 May 1850, he immigrated to Canada in 1870 and, within two years, arrived in Winnipeg. He resided there two years until moving in 1874 to what would become the Dundas School District. He took up a homestead in the southwest quarter-section of 10-16-2 East, farming until retirement in 1914. He served the community as a trustee of Windsor School and Teulon School, as well as a Municipal Councillor (1884-1888) of Rockwood. He was the first Mayor of Teulon (1919-1921) and an Elder of the Windsor Presbyterian Church. On 30 November 1875, he married Catherine Campbell (1852-?, daughter of Duncan Campbell) in the Dundas district and they had ten children: Duncan Wood (1875-1953), David Wood (1878-1936), Isabelle Helen “Bella” Wood (1882-1955, wife of Francis Edward “Frank” Carson), William John “Billy” Wood, Robert James “Bert” Wood (1886-1954), and Samuel Jacob “Sam” Wood (1888-?), Catherine Elizabeth “Bess” Wood (1890-?, wife of William Stuart Grahame), Islay May Wood (1893-?), Ella Matilda Wood (1894-?, wife of Henry “Harry” Turner), and Christina Margaret Wood (1880-1944, wife of William Clarke McKinnell). He died at Teulon on 11 August 1926 and was buried in the Windsor Cemetery.
Birth, marriage, and registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 & 1911 Canada censes, Automated Genealogy.
Winnipeg estate file #17378, Archibald S. Wood, Archives of Manitoba.
“Arch. F. Wood, Teulon old-timer, is dead,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 August 1926, page 5.
“Former mayor of Teulon dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 August 1926, page 5.
Obituary, Stonewall Argus & Teulon Times, 18 August 1926, page 8.
“Five sons bear pall at funeral of Arch. Woods,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1926, page 7.
“Prominent Teulon merchant dead,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 May 1936, page 4.
“W. C. McKinnell, suburbs' finance supervisor, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 October 1939, page 17.
They Came for the Future, Village of Teulon by the Teulon and District History Book Committee, 1983.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 1 July 2018