Historic Sites of Manitoba: Teulon School No. 1093 (Teulon)
The Teulon School District was established formally in August 1900 and a school building was erected in the village of Teulon. In 1909, it became one of the early participants in the school consolidation movement when it joined with Windsor School No. 96 to form Teulon Consolidated School No. 1093. A high school was built in 1917 to the east of the elementary school building, on a site now occupied by the Teulon War Memorial. The district later became part of the Interlake School Division.
The present Teulon Collegiate building was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Smith-Carter-Searl Associates and built by Harper Construction Company. It was officially opened in a ceremony on 8 December 1961. Members of the school board at that time were Hugh Proctor (Chairman), J. A. Boyd (Vice-Chairman), E. R. James, Thomas Robertson, J. C. Brown, P. E. Last, Emil Moeller, and J. C. Cumming (Secretary-Treasurer).
Among the teachers of Teulon Collegiate was Emma Gruenke Kornelsen.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Teulon, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, July 1912, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Shayne Campbell and Nathan Kramer for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 March 2020