Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dundas Cemetery / Dundas School No. 95 (RM of Rockwood)
This cemetery in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood was established on land donated to the St. Cyprian Anglican Parish in 1880. A monument erected in the cemetery in 2001 commemorates pioneers of this area, who arrived here from Dundas, Ontario around 1873. They were served by a post office at Greenwood, as of 1875, and from 1879 to 1906 by the Foxton Post Office at SE15-16-2E.
The Dundas School District was established in April 1880. The following year, a log school building was erected at NE14-16-2E. It was replaced in 1889 by a wood frame structure at SW12-16-2E which was used until 1954 when a new building was constructed at the site. The district became part of the Interlake School Division in 1964 and the district was dissolved in 1965.
Among the teachers who worked at Dundas School through the years were Nellie Murray (1910-1911), Miss E. Elham (1911-1912), Clara Cook (1912-1913), Violet Hawkins (1913-1914), George Bruce (1914-1915), Lenore Meyers (1916), Isabel Malpas (1916-1917), Mr. Partington (1918-1919), Miss Hempsall (1919), Miss A. P. Lobb (1926-1927), Mr. D. M. McLoughlin (1927), Mr. G. Mark (1928-1929), Mary Kelly (1929-1932), Miss P. Cottingham (1932-1933), Audrey Hood (1933-1934), Miss A. E. Anderson (1934), Miss Loutit (1935), Miss H. B. Francis (1935-1936), Frances Campbell (1936-1939), Helen Cumming (1939-1941), Miss G. M. Peterson (1942-1943), Miss J. Baley (1943-1947), Miss M. Baley (1947-1951), Hope Bowman (1951-1952), Mrs. J. Gretchen (1952-1956), Mrs. J. Morrison (1956-1957), Rosemary Jardine (1957), Miss C. M. Sigvaldson (1958), Freda Hornford (1958-1959), Claudia Campbell (1959-1962), and Helen Cockerill (1962-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2019
Back to top of page