Historic Sites of Manitoba: Windsor School No. 96 (RM of Rockwood)
The Windsor School District was formally established in April 1880 and a schoolhouse opened on 2 May 1881 in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. Account is given of a log building operating as a school as early as 1878, situated along the west part of southwest 9-16-2E of the Prime Meridian. In its early years, the schoolhouse was also used for Sunday church services (1881-?), alternating between both the local Windsor Presbyterian Church and Anglican congregations. This building was replaced in 1902 with a new concrete structure. In December 1909, the district was consolidated into Teulon School District.
Among the teachers of Windsor School were James C. Fraser (1881), J. McMillan, Sam Cameron, Hattie Bloack, Mrs. James Clifford, Peter Loutit, Lila Brown, Bertha McKivor, Miss English, Jessie Brown, R. J. Hume, Alberta Haw, J. Fred Alexander (1895-c1906), Mary Van Springstein (1907), James O. Beckstead (1908), and Roberta A. Anderson (1908).
“Board of Education,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 6 May 1880, page 1.
“Dundas,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 25 May 1881, page 1.
“Dundas,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 6 October 1881, page 3.
“Rockwood Council,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 30 September 1882, page 3.
“City & Country [A motion will be introducted at the next meeting of the Windsor School Board ...],” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 3 August 1893, page 6.
“Sudden death at Stonewall [At a special meeting of the Rockwood Council a bylaw was passed ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 11 December 1909, page 3.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Windsor School District No. 96 Daily Registers, GR2045, Archives of Manitoba.
100 Years of History, Rockwood Municipality by the Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 8 November 2017
Back to top of page