Memorable Manitobans: Steve Repa (1937-1989)
Born at Winnipeg in 1937, he attended Machray School, St. John’s High School, and Isaac Newton School. He studied at the University of Manitoba School of Fine Art, graduating in 1961, and later taught pottery and design there. He also worked for two years as Director of the Brandon Allied Art Centre, and for 22 years he taught art at Sisler High School. In 1964, he co-founded the Forum Art Institute with Nikola Bjelajac. He was a member of the Manitoba Society of Artists, Canadian Association of Art Education, and the Federation of Arts of Manitoba. Examples of his work include the icon of the Immaculate Heart of Mary School, the altar at St. Gerard Church, a leprechaun statue at Killarney commemorating the 1970 Manitoba centenary, and a monument at Niverville. He did committee work for the Manitoba Centennial Corporation. He died at Winnipeg on 30 September 1989 and was buried in Glen Eden Memorial Garden.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 4 October 1989, page 55.
“City potter, art teacher Repa dies after fight with cancer,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 October 1989, page 44.
We thank Frances Kasper and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 July 2019
Back to top of page