Memorable Manitobans: Ben Moss (1891-1962)
A Jewish immigrant from Romania, he came to Canada around 1910 and set up a diamond importing business. His first retail shop at Winnipeg was established in 1932 in the McIntyre Block. He became a respected member of the city’s business community and a long-time member of several community organizations, including the Masons, B’nai Brith, YMHA, Glendale Country Club, Shaarey Zedek Synagogue, and the Canadian Jewellers Association.
In 1936, he married Ethel Levey (?-1995) of Montreal, at Winnipeg. They settled at 180 Montrose Avenue where they raised two daughters.
When Moss died at the Winnipeg General Hospital on 17 June 1962, his son-in-law Sid Trepel took over his jewellery business. It was under Trepel that Ben Moss Jewellers grew into a national retail chain. His gravestone at Shaarey Zedek Cemetery reads: "A good name is rather to be chosen than riches and loving favour rather than silver and gold.”
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 18 June 1962.
“Local jeweller passes away,” Jewish Post, 21 June 1962.
“Bye Bye, Ben Moss,” West End Dumplings.
This page was prepared by Christian Cassidy.
Page revised: 5 September 2016