This two-storey brick structure on Dagmar Street in Winnipeg was designed by brothers Wallace Cotman Eade and Hugh R. Eade, and built in 1907 by contractors Edward H. Cottrell and McElveny and Company. Known originally as the Shaarey Shomayim Synagogue, it became the Shaarey Zedek Synagogue after the 1913 amalgamation of the two congregations. It was used until the move to a new building on Wellington Crescent in 1950.
Among the rabbis who served at Shaarey Zedek was Herbert Julius Samuel (1914-1925).
The next occupant of the building was Aerie No. 23 of the Fraternal Order of Eagles that used it as a meeting hall. The building is now used as the Sudanese Canadian Community Centre.
The former Shaarey Zedek Synagogue (October 2014)
Source: George Penner
The former Shaarey Zedek Synagogue (October 2022)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90013, W97.14431
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Hugh Rotherham Eade (1882-1976)
Memorable Manitobans: Wallace Cotman Eade (1871-1916)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shaarey Zedek Cemetery (230 Armstrong Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shaarey Zedek Synagogue (561 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg)
Manitoba Organization: Fraternal Order of Eagles
Page revised: 18 August 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!