Memorable Manitobans: William Edward “Bill” Lumsden (1907-1982)
Born at Brandon on 27 May 1907, son of Harry William Lumsden and Annie Dyer Boyd, he was raised in Elmwood and lived many years at East Kildonan. He was a partner in the real estate firm of Barber-Lumsden Limited until his retirement.
Active in sports circles, he organized the Elmwood Giants Pee Wee baseball league and coached baseball for many years. He was a founder of the Kelvin Community Club and served as President for two years. He was a member of the Winnipeg Parks Board for seven years during which he was instrumental in founding and fundraising for Aunt Sally’s Farm at Assiniboine Park. He was a member (53 years), President (1938-1939) and Secretary (15 years) of the Elmwood Curling Club. He served as President of the Manitoba Curling Association (1947-1948) and the Canadian Curling Association (1966-1967). He was made an honorary life member in several local curling clubs. He served on an athletic committee of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation.
He had three children: Jean Margaret Lumsden (wife of James Gordon Smith), Pat Lumsden (wife of Ken McDonald), and William H. Lumsden. In recognition of his community service, he was inducted into the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt and the Canadian Curling Hall of Fame, and he received the Canadian Centennial Medal (1967) and the Manitoba Sports Federation Certificate of Merit (1971).
He died on 5 April 1982 and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Mrs. Lumsden holds trousseau reception,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 April 1955, page 10.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 7 April 1982, page 51.
“Lumsden ignited CCA,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 April 1982, page 71.
Page revised: 5 June 2019