This plaque at the Portage Avenue entrance to Assiniboine Park in Winnipeg, north of the pedestrian bridge over the Assiniboine River, commemorates the founding of the park. On 16 May 1904, the Winnipeg City Coucil acted on advice from the Winnipeg Public Parks Board by purchasing a large tract of land to establish the park. The plaque was unveiled by Mayor Bill Norrie in July 1981.
Assiniboine Park commemorative plaque (2011)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87689, W97.23101
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine Park Pavilion (55 Pavilion Crescent, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine Park Conservatory (15 Conservatory Drive, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!