Étienne-Joseph “Steve” Gaboury
Born on a farm near Bruxelles on 24 April 1930, youngest of thirteen children born to farmers Napoléon Gaboury (1887-1947) and Valentine Lafreniere (1892-1957), he studied at the University of Manitoba, graduating with degrees in Latin (1953) and Architecture (1958). He then studied at the Ecole Des Beaux Arts at Paris (1958-1959) after which he practiced architecture in Winnipeg with the firm of Libling Michener and Associates, and later with Gaboury, Lussier and Sigurdson Architects. He founded Gaboury Associates Architects in 1976, later known as Gaboury Préfontaine Perry Architects.
In recognition of his work and service, he was inducted into the Order of Canada (2010) and Order of Manitoba (2012), and he received the Manitoba Centennial Medal (1970) and Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012). He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Manitoba (1987) and he received awards from Heritage Canada, Heritage Winnipeg, and Manitoba Association of Architects.
On 1 September 1956, he married Claire Breton and they had a daughter and three sons.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Obituary [Aurelie Gaboury], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 May 1943, page 2.
“Tenders invited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 August 1961, page 14.
“Police station okayed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 March 1962, page 3.
“U of M confers six honorary degrees,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 June 1987, page 22.
Hills of Home: Treasured Memories of Bruxelles by Bruxelles History Book Committee, 1992, pages 271-273.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Susan Algie for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 September 2020