Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church / St. Paul’s United Church / Central United Church (321 Eighth Street, Brandon)
In 1900, a brick church building was constructed at this site on Eighth Street in Brandon to replace a small, one-storey structure dating back to the 1880s. Designed by local architect Walter H. Shillinglaw and completed in January 1901, with seating capacity for over 1,000 people, the congregation of St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church voted in 1925 to join the United Church of Canada, becoming St. Paul’s United Church. In July 1969, it united with First United Church to become Central United Church, the largest United church in western Manitoba. Destroyed by fire in June 1986, the present church building that incorporates some elements from the preceding building was constructed on the same site.
Clerics (St. Paul’s Presbyterian)
Clerics (St. Paul’s United / Central United Church)
Photos & Coordinates
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Two churches amalgamate as Central United Church,” Brandon Sun, 28 June 1969, page 5.
“Central United burns,” Brandon Sun, 26 June 1986, page 1.
James Moffat Douglas, Dictionary of Canadian Biography.
Our Past, Central United Church.
St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Heritage Brandon.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2021